Monday, October 6, 2008

Pit Cooking...this time was for Mom's 70th Surprise Birthday Party

Start with filling the pit (55 gallon barrel in ground) with mesquite wood
Let wood burn down to red hot coals. Coals should fill about 1/3 of the barrel...I think, (I will check with Evan and fix it if I am wrong)
While wood is burning down, season meat and place in foil pans. For the ham we use brown sugar, chili powder, and honey. For the turkey, we have experimented several times. This time, each had a different sauce inside along with onions and celery. I think I sprinkled them with salt, pepper, and parsley. You really can't go wrong!!! For Easter we did a traditionally flavored turkey and a Curry flavored turkey. YUM! Once seasoned, wrap the entire pan in 6-8 layers of foil. Take outside to put pans in burlap sacks that have been soaking in water. We put two pans to a sack. Fold end of sack under and wrap with wire, making a handle for lowing into the pit.
Place all wire wrapped sacks down in pit. Put the lid on the barrel and cover completely with damp dirt. This seals the heat in. 12 hours later remove dirt and lid. Take sacks out of barrel, and the pans out of the sacks. We leave the foil on until we are ready to serve...unless we just can't help ourselves and need to taste the meat! Which is usually the case. The meat comes out soooo tender and just falls off the bone!

I have taken pictures (for blogging) several times when we have cooked in the pit and I have forgotten every time to take a picture of the finished product. Maybe next time...or maybe some one took a picture of the food for Mom's 70th surprise birthday party. I will have to ask around.

7 comments:

russandkatie said...

wow, I love that you are giving me so many things to read! But the pit looks like too much work for me so... do you deliver??? I will take some ham and turkey please!

Diana said...

I will be glad to deliver it to the church for our December Enrichment! Ham from the pit is on the menu!

If we fire it up before then, which I am sure we will, I will let you know. It really isn't that hard!

Raysha said...

Did you guys build your pit? My dad has had brick to build a pit for years and still hasn't done it! That food looks yummy though. I'm going to be in Gilbert this coming Friday night (the 10th) through next Wed (15th.) I'm house/dog sitting for Derrick's mom. Maybe we can get together some time.

Doug said...

I have a picture of the food at moms party if you want it

Donelle said...

Hi Diana! Of course I remember you. Good cook-outs in our back yard long ago. However, I didn't realize that you married Evan even after seeing you at the reunion. Yes, I actually just saw the entire Kuchar family at our family reunion last August. Everyone is doing well. We get together every 2 years which is great! I actually erased your comment off my blog just because you mentioned the incident at church at some people who read my blog don't know about it...just in case you noticed that your comment is gone. Tell Evan hello!~

Donelle said...

Yes, Tiffany has a blog. From my blog find Hillam family and that is her. Her hubby is in medical school and they have one little boy. Janelle is married with 2 step-sons and 2 boys of her own. Karalee and Mandi are in college. Karalee has a blog- link on Tiffany's page. Trent is in the military. We alternate locations each time for the family reunions. This year it was in Colo and we liked it so much we are going back there is two years. Glad that your family is doing well :)

Benjamin & Shanae Lee said...

We feel gyped! How come we did not get any BB-Q when we were living in AZ? Looks like you guys are having fun! We hope to see you guys in Dec when we come to visit.