Friday, November 21, 2008

Poor Buddy!

Sunday Evan noticed a small bump on the left side of Buddy's face. We thought maybe he got bit by something or Chloe got rough with him, or he slid into a cabinet while playing chase. Monday it looked about the same, Tuesday I thought it looked a little better, but Wednesday....


He looked awful!!! The swelling was so bad and had spread to his eye. I decided I had to take him to the vet. I was able to get a complimentary exam and estimate. RIDICULOUS!!!! about $1000 to run several different test, hospitalize and give medications. They thought maybe he would need to have the bump drained but it wasn't squishy. They were leaning toward something wrong with his teeth and referred me to a vet dentist. I said I would call them when I decided what to do. I called Dennis and asked how silly it would be for him to take x-rays of my pup? He said he had done it before. So we took a couple of views and Dennis said his dentist would be in to get adjusted and would have him look at the films. We thought maybe it was a bad ear infection, sinus infection and figured if that is what we had, we would take a lot of garlic. When I got home I put garlic oil in his ear and used the little dropper to have him drink some liquid garlic.

(you can click on the picture to see closer if you don't have a weak tummy)

Thursday the kids and I were gone all morning and came home to find Buddy looking worse! He had been scratching his face. SO SAD!!! I should have gone right away and gotten him a cone to protect his face. But all the kids were asleep and had to be carried in, so I wasn't about to drag them to the store. I cleaned it with peroxide and put neosporin on it. I was surprised at how well he did when I was doing all of that. Later that night...not so good! He remembered and wasn't about to sit still for me. Some dental hygienist came into the office and looked at the films. They told Dennis that Buddy has two abscessed teeth. In the middle of the night the dogs got out of the laundry room and came to join us in our bed. I could feel something wet! When Evan turned on the light he saw that Buddy's face no longer had a huge bump on it. I got up to look and had to change some of the blankets and my shirt and clean up the laundry room a bit. NASTY! I won't go into anymore detail. They did not want to stay in there so we put them in the bathroom with their bed.

Today he looks so much better and is acting like he feels better. Still not sure what we are going to do. Since he is acting better, we are thinking that maybe it isn't as serious as we thought. Any other suggestions are welcome.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Mechelle said...

wow, poor thing. I hpoe he's feeling better soon.

Las Vegas Matthews said...

My friend Diane suggests that you get some Collodial Silver from a Health Food store. She said it's powerful stuff. Some can go in his food and some can be rubbed on his gums.

Diana said...

Thanks Netter! I will get some tomorrow. It was looking great untill today and it started to swell again. I was trying to give Buddy an antibiotic that Dave and Kathy sent and he rubbed against me and broke it open. YUCK!!! anyway it looked horrible, like a deep hole. So I got him cleaned up and was able to get him to eat the antibiotic and a pain pill they sent. I was thinking I should get a cone too, so he will stop rubbing it on everything.

Holly said...

I can't believe you have a weiner dog they are my Favorite, we had one when we were first married and Thomas use to take her to the farm and she killed the squirells and got sprayed by two skunks..........I am jealous!!!!!